Castello di Poppiano and the Guicciardini, the importance of tradition.
C astello di Poppiano was an impressive medieval building erected around the turn of the first millennium probably as a fortress for the external defence of the town of Florence. It has been the property of the Guicciardini for almost nine centuries, a claim documented by an inheritance act of 1199.
Not surprisingly Castello di Poppiano was linked with various events in the history of Florence . In 1354 Poppiano suffered the incursions of mercenaries . In 1369 Sir John Hawkwood the famous English Condottiere from Hendingham Sible (known in Florence as Giovanni Acuto) (2a), after the battle of Fosso Armonico near Cascina, had his headquarters in Castello di Poppiano. In 1529 the Castle was damaged during the siege of Florence as mentioned by the historian Francesco Guicciardini (at that time owner of Poppiano) in his “Memorie”(2). The Castle as you see it today is the result of restoration works after an earthquake in 1812 caused extensive damages . The building however returned in its former grandeur and authenticity thanks to frescoes (3) in other Guicciardini houses in Val di Pesa and Val d’ Elsa.